- “Disqualification can only be effected by a parliamentary act”, declared the Minister of Justice.
- The justice minister opposes the imposition of governor’s rule in Sindh, saying ‘it would backfire’.
- The Attorney General said that no draft had been presented to the Ministry of Justice.
ISLAMABAD: The Federal Ministry of Law and Justice on Friday refused to issue an order to disqualify dissident members for five years, opposing the draft presented by Attorney General Khalid Javed Khan, sources familiar with the matter said. the case.
According to the sources, Justice Minister Farogh Naseem apologized for changing the electoral law by an ordinance, saying that “members of parliament cannot be disqualified by an ordinance”, adding that “disqualification cannot be effected only by an act of Parliament. ”
The attorney general had proposed an order under Election Law 231(A), which stated: “dissenting members should be declared ineligible for five years.”
However, sources said Naseem refused to accept the order and said, “According to Section 63(1)(p), lawful disqualification of a member can only be effected under a parliamentary act.
In addition, a member of the government suggested that the Ministry of Justice issue an ordinance which would later be repealed. However, the Minister of Justice also rejected the request.
Apart from this, the Justice Minister opposed the imposition of Governor’s rule in Sindh saying “it will backfire”.
On the other hand, Attorney General Khalid said that no draft was presented to the Ministry of Justice, and only the reference of Order 63(A) was discussed at the meeting.
— Thumbnail: AFP/File